Monday, September 13, 2010

A Very Rough Day

This is Kaiser, our mini schnauzer.  He's got attitude, barks too much, and sometimes is a little crazy, but we love him.  Saturday, while Carter was taking him for a walk, he got off the leash and ran in front of a vehicle.  I had been out running Wrigley, our lab, and just returned when Carter came running down the street (crying) with a leash, but no Kaiser.  He told me that Kaiser had been hit by a car.  I jumped in the van, headed over to where they were walking, but by the time I went to pull out of the drive way, I saw two men walking down the street, one of them holding Kaiser.

It looked really bad.  Kaiser wasn't moving, and the guy holding him just said, "his heart is still beating."  Ugh.  So, after a quick call to the vet, we were off to the clinic.  Oh, back up a minute.  First of all, I made sure that Carter was okay, and that he realized that this wasn't his fault.  Poor little fella, he was feeling pretty darn sad.  Now, back to the vet.  Lindsey was at work, so Kayden stayed at home with the little boys and Jaren came with me to the vet. 

We found out that he was in shock, he had a lot of abdominal bruising, and that he couldn't move his back end.  The vet wasn't sure what was broken and told us that after he was medicated and treated for shock, they would do x-rays.  She then proceeded to give him an IV (this is when Jaren had to step out for a minute) and told us that she would let us know if anything changed, and sent us on our way. 

Sigh...now what?  What an awful feeling.  I couldn't even imagine if he was my child.  I felt so helpless.  I think I cried a little that day - okay maybe a lot.  So, Sunday morning,  they did x-rays and found out that he has a fractured pelvis. I guess these type of fractures can heal on their own, but the vet said he will need to stay there for a few days to make sure that all is well.  Phew.  What a sigh of relief.  The boys were so happy when we heard this news and frankly, so was I. 

If anything changes, I will let you know.  Thanks for listening.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Oh, poor Kaiser!!! What a rough deal. Here's hoping the little trooper pulls through and is back to his spunky self soon!!

Amy said...

Aw man, I'm sorry that happened. Poor Carter and Kaiser. Hope the vet bills don't add to your pain. :(

JRoberts said...

Poor dog, but poor Carter. Hope it all is better soon.